Master applied studies take two years, or four semesters. All student activities are graded according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), so that each semester carries 30 ECTS points. Upon a successful completion of the studies, the total number of ECTS points obtained is 120. The studies are realized in the form of traditional classroom teaching, in Serbian. The Textile and Apparel Design master applied studies belong to the broader educational field of art, the field of applied art and design. Upon finishing master applied studies, the student is awarded the title „Master of Applied Design“, or „MaAppDes“ / „M.A.D.“ for short.
According to the National Qualifications Framework in Serbia (NOKS), upon finishing master applied studies the student reaches level seven, sublevel one (level 7.1). To reach this level, the student is first required to have level 6.1 (graduated from basic applied studies that carry 180 ECTS). Also, candidates who graduated from basic academic studies in adequate professional fields within the corresponding educational-scientific field (carrying at least 180 ECTS) can also enrol in this master study program, as well as candidates who finished 4-year basic academic studies from a similar field, according to the laws that were in effect prior to the Law on Higher Education (until September 10, 2005).
Candidates who have graduated from accredited higher education institutions abroad are also eligible to enrol in this master study program, under the same conditions as citizens of Serbia, as long as they speak the Serbian language (since it is the language the classes are held in) and if they have previously nostrificated the diploma they obtained from their alma mater in the country of origin. The nostrification must confirm that the academic degree they were awarded equals at least a study program carrying 180 ECTS according to the relevant laws and regulations of the Republic of Serbia, provided that the curriculums of the study program they graduated from correspond to the curriculums of the appropriate Serbian study programs of similar professional fields.
Classes and exams
All of the courses at this study program take one semester to finish. Student activities throughout the semester (pre-exam obligations), such as attendance and active participation in class, practical work, mid-term exams, test, papers and homework are all awarded a certain number of points. The ratio between the number of points obtained through the fulfilment of pre-exam obligations and the points obtained at the final exam is established for each individual course separately; the pre-exam obligations can carry a minimum of 30, and a maximum of 70 points. The final exams take place on-site, at the Department, in the appropriate exam terms, which are: January, February, June, July, Spetember and October. By fulfiling the pre-exam obligations and passing the final exam, the student can achieve a maximum of 100 points; for a grade of „6“, 51 points are needed; for „7“, 61 points; for „8“, 71 points; for „9“, 81 points; for „10“, 91 points.
Goals and Outcomes
The basic goal of this study program is to educate masters of applied textile and apparel design who would actively participate in the textile, apparel and fashion industry and in the field of electronic/digital media through an innovative use of design which takes into account sociological, economic, and ecological sustainability.
Specific goals involve mastering practical skills needed for performing tasks related to textile and apparel design. This is achieved through courses which provide knowledge, skills and competences for quickly and successfully integrating into companies and organizations dedicated to the production of textile and clothing, along with companies of the digital industry, electronic media and other creative industries. More concretely, the specific goals of the program are:
- Developing professional and creative abilities, critical and analytical thinking, communication skills, innovative spirit, and skills and abilities needed for team work.
- Gaining knowledge of modern paradigms in textile and apparel design, contemporary culture and the dynamic relationship between society, technology and economy, that influences the design process on the whole.
- Educating the students on new digital technologies – creating solutions for a virtual environment, applying innovative techniques and technologies for textile and apparel design for solving concrete tasks of this field in practice.
- Cooperating with professionals from the textile and apparel industry through design seminars and concrete tasks within practical classes.
- Influencing the industrial and economic development. In the Republic of Serbia, the textile and apparel industry has a long and rich tradition, which can only be preserved and updated to keep up with global standards if there are educated workers who are competent enough to discern, keep up with and apply contemporary trends related to the production of textile and clothing.
- The goals and outcomes of this study program are synchronized with similar programs of European higher education institutions and the needs of the textile and fashion industry, as well as market demands for the knowledge and use of modern technologies in textile and apparel design. Through their work and knowledge obtained through this study program, our Masters of Applied Design will influence the improvement and development of the textile and fashion industry, its compliance with global standards and a better competitive position on the European and global market.
- Our Masters of Applied Design obtain knowledge needed for the functioning and development of the textile and apparel industry in the contemporary market environment.
The competences of future students
- Mastering methods and techniques applied in the design and development of new products.
- Developing critical and self-critical thinking and approaches to the analysis, synthesis and forecasting of innovative and competitive solutions.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the culture and art that envelop the design process, whose integral part is textile and apparel design.
- The ability to solve concrete problems in practice with the goal of finding optimal and innovative solutions in the design process through the application of creative techniques; implementing and fitting those solutions to the market and the manufacturing process.
- Actively applying innovative creative techniques during the design process.
- Connecting the basic knowledge from different areas, such as contemporary culture and society, art, design, different technologies for producing textile materials and clothing, in order to create new and competitive textile, apparel and fashion products.
- Actively applying the knowledge and skills related to digital technologies in the creation of virtual textile and apparel forms.
- Competences related to the ecological aspect of design and textile and apparel manufacturing.
- The ability to research the needs of users through focus groups, ethnographic studies and examination of activities related to culture, technology and fashion, and applying the results of that research in practice.